Monday, September 23, 2024

Austerlitz by W. G. Sebald

 Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024--San Antonio

Austerlitz by W. G. Sebald is considered to be a great novel, and it was listed by TIME as one of the top 100 books of the 2000s.  It is well written and includes lots of interesting observations about life, about architecture, about history, etc.  But it is a SLOW read with page-after-page consisting of one paragraph.  I found myself leaving the book after reading fewer than 20 pages at a time.  After 5-6 days of reading, I was only 40% of the way through the book and having to push myself to go back to it.  Finally, at 42% of the way through it, I decided to quit it.  At times the story had turned interesting, but that would last a while and then go back to observations.  Maybe I should have kept reading, but I wanted something more consistently interesting to read.  I haven't rated the book.  And I may go back to it at some point in time.  But I have probably left it behind permanently since I read mostly for pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment