Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Lookback Window by Kyle Dillon Hertz

Saturday, Feb. 4, 2024--San Antonio

I did not enjoy reading The Lookback Window by Kyle Dillon Hertz.  I doubt that anyone could say they did.  The protagonist's story is a dreary subject--an adult dealing with emotional problems caused by having having been trafficked as a young teenager to men who had abusive sex with him.  Much of the book is related to him taking increasingly dangerous drugs and having meaningless sex as a result.  Even at the end of the book when he seems to have finally settled down in life after reporting his abuse during a "lookback window" extending the time for filing court cases for child trafficking and abuse, he continues to use drugs as if it is normal part of adult life.  I guess the book is rather well written, but I never developed any empathy for the protagonist.  Maybe the point was that he had been damaged so much that he could not mature further.  It just made it a book that I couldn't appreciate reading.  I gave it 2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment