Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Small Sacrifice for an Enormous Happiness by Jai Chakrabarti

Wednesday, May 31, 2023--San Antonio

A Small Sacrifice for an Enormous Happiness by Jai Chakrabarti is a book of short stories that is one of the best books I have ever read.  It's truly unique.  The author is a Jewish Indian who grew up in Kolkata and now lives in Brooklyn and the Hudson River Valley.  Some of the stories take place in India, and some of them take place among Jews (including Indian immigrant Jews) in New York.  All of the stories have a sense of being spot-on in terms of how life really is.  Maybe the fact that I have spent so much time in India and have seen so many films set among Jewish families is why I realized this, but I think anyone would find the stories enjoyable, too. I hated for each story to end, then I eagerly began the next.  It was so good that I have also checked out (on my Kindle from the library) another book by the same author that has won prizes.  I gave this book a rating of 5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment