Thursday, October 15, 2020

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020--San Antonio

Normal People by Sally Rooney was a book that I read in only two days.  Normally, I put a book down and come back to it several times before I finish.  But this story interested me.  Set in a small town in western Ireland, it is about class differences, popularity differences, intelligence differences, sexual activity differences, etc.  More specifically, it is about a popular young male student who is poor and raised by his unwed mother in a loving home and an unpopular young female student who is raised in a wealthy family whole members lack love for each other.  It follows these two people as they have a secretive sex life while in high school and then both leave for Dublin and college at the most prestigious university in the county.  It continues to follow them as their lives dance around each other's without their realizing they cannot be happy with anyone else.  It is a spare book (about 250 pages) that held my interest.  I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment