Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Yellow House by Sarah M. Broom

Saturday, Aug. 2, 2020--San Antonio

The Yellow House, a memoir by Sarah M. Broom, won the National Book Award for nonfiction books in 2019, but I could not finish it.  I read 27% of the book and gave up on it.  It is set in New Orleans and is about a family in the area known as New Orleans East.  There are just too many uninteresting details with the story moving too slowly to keep my interest.  At 27% of the way through, the house wasn't even yellow yet, the family is still having babies (#10, I think, was the latest one), and the first one is getting married.  The writing style is easy to read, but I just saw no need to keep going with the story.  After spending a whole week only getting through 27% of it (because it didn't hold my interest for more than 15-30 minutes at a time), I just didn't want to invest any further time in it.  It's not a bad book, just one that didn't hold my interest, so I will give it 3 stars out of 5.  

No comments:

Post a Comment