Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Tuesday, June 16, 2020--San Antonio

I decided to read Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks because it is set in a village in England suffering from the plague in 1665-1666, a village which voluntarily decides to self-quarantine to try to stop the spread of the disease.  I thought it would be interesting to read it while we are voluntarily self-quarantining in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  The book is very well written and the story is riveting.  I found myself feeling as if I were there and, as a reader, not wanting to take a break.  It would make a great Masterpiece Theater series on PBS/BBC.  I gave the book 4 1/2 stars out of 5. (It would have been 5 stars except I agree with some readers that the ending seems so implausible.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment