Monday, April 15, 2019

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

Apr. 15, 2019--Tel Aviv


Last night I did something that I very seldom do. I decided to quit reading a book that I just wasn’t enjoying. One irritant was that the style of the writing was too much like another historical murder series story that I read which I found to be okay but not terribly exciting several years ago: The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen. The book I quit last night is Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann. Even though it was a finalist for the National Book Award, I just found reading it to be tedious with its frequent quotes from newspapers and other writings, its repetitive information, its pleasure in showing how racist everyone was back then, the choppy pace of the writing, etc. By 25% of the way in, I decided not to waste any more time on it and to give it a rating of 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment