Saturday, July 30, 2022

Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout

 Sunday, July 30, 2022--San Antonio

Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout was nominated for the Booker Prize this week.  It is the third book I have read by this author who has often won prizes or been short listed for them for her works, but I didn't realize I had read other books by her (Olive Kitteridge and Olive, Again) until I finished this book and saw a list of others she had authored.  I don't normally enjoy reading multiple books by the same author, because too often the stories are too similar and, most disappointing to me, the style of writing is often too similar from book to book.  Oh William! was an easy read and an interesting story with many characters that are connected, often as relatives, from multiple marriages.  The story is told by Lucy and is mostly about her first husband (William) and the connections that have developed over time as their lives have continued after divorcing and marrying others.  But it is also the story of overcoming severe poverty within a lifetime ("living the American dream"), childhood bullying, childhood abuse, family rejection, friendship that remains after a divorce, inspiration and support by a special person in one's life, etc.  I rated this book 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment